The Ultimate Guide to Getting Started with Calisthenics
What is Street Workout?
Street workout, also known as calisthenics, is a form of exercise that utilizes the bodyweight to build strength and muscle. It’s a unique style of physical activity that can be performed anywhere with little to no equipment.
Why Calisthenics is the Best Way to Exercise
Not only is street workout accessible and convenient, but it’s also proven to be incredibly effective. Unlike weightlifting, which focuses on one specific muscle group, calisthenics requires the use of multiple muscle groups all at once. Additionally, street workout can be personalized to fit any fitness level, making it a great option for beginners and advanced athletes alike.
Tips for Starting Your Street Workout Journey
- Start with the basics – push-ups, squats, and lunges are simple yet effective exercises that will build a strong foundation for more advanced movements.
- Find a workout partner – working out with a friend can help motivate and hold you accountable.
- Track your progress – record your workouts and monitor your progress to see how far you’ve come.
The Best Street Workout Exercises for Beginners
- Push-ups – an excellent exercise for building upper body strength.
- Squats – a great way to target the lower body and build muscle.
- Pull-ups – an excellent exercise for building upper body strength and toning the back muscles.
- Burpees – a full-body workout that builds strength and endurance.
Advanced Calisthenics Movements
- Muscle-ups – a challenging movement that requires upper body strength and coordination.
- Handstand push-ups – an impressive movement that targets the shoulders and triceps.
- Planche – a difficult exercise that requires immense upper body strength and balance.
- Human flag – a show-stopping movement that requires exceptional core strength and balance.
How to Create a Street Workout Routine
Creating a street workout routine is all about finding a balance between strength training and cardio. Incorporating both beginner and advanced movements, a typical routine might look something like this:
- Warm-up – 5-10 minutes of light cardio to get the blood flowing.
- Strength training – perform 3 sets of push-ups, squats, and pull-ups with a 1-2 minute rest between sets.
- Cardio – a 10-minute interval training session consisting of burpees, jumping jacks, and high knees.
- Advanced movements – attempt 3 sets of muscle-ups, handstand push-ups, and planche holds with a 1-2 minute rest between sets.
- Cool down – stretch out the muscles with some light yoga poses and a 5-minute walk.
Join the Street Workout Community
Finally, one of the best things about street workout is the sense of community that comes with it. Join a local club or connect with other enthusiasts online to share tips, workout plans, and motivation. By becoming a part of the street workout community, you’ll not only improve your physical health, but also make new friends and connections.